Thank you for your interest in the Chemistry PhD Program at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. More information about the PhD program is found on the graduate degrees page.
Our application deadline for full consideration for the Fall 2020 semester is December 1, 2019. However, we strongly encourage earlier submission of applications to maximize opportunities for fellowships. We do not accept applications for Spring semester admission, our admission cycle is on an annual basis.
Minimum Admission Requirements for the Chemistry PhD Program
- Undergraduate Degree
- At least 25 semester hours in chemistry (properly distributed)
- GPA: 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) is the minimum admission requirement for the Graduate College (however, Chemistry typically does not make offers to students with an undergraduate GPA below 3.5, unless they have a high graduate GPA or extensive research experience to compensate for a lower undergraduate GPA)
- A completed online application
- Personal statement
- Three letters of reference
- Official transcripts of all previous undergraduate and graduate work (one transcript for each institution attended). Electronic Transcripts must be requested from your college/university. "Self-service transcripts" and/or grade lists that students are able to pull from their account without submitting a request to their college/university will not be accepted.
- Graduate Records Examination
- General test scores are not required, but are encouraged, if you believe the scores will support your application
- Chemistry Subject test scores are not required but are encouraged, if you believe the scores will support your application
- English Language Proficiency test scores: official test scores are required. All International Students should follow the link to the left about English Proficiency requirements, due to the requirement for our students to serve as a Teaching Assistant (TA)
- Minimum TOEFL: 103 overall, 24 on speaking subsection
- Minimum IELTS: 7 overall, 8 on speaking subsection, no less than 6 on any subsection
亚博体育下注Your academic record and recommendations must be a strong indicator of your capability to pursue advanced study and research in chemistry.
Areas Of Study
Within the Department of Chemistry areas of study include analytical, chemical biology, inorganic, materials, organic, and physical chemistry. Applications for those interested in pursuing a Master's degree are not encouraged except for the Master's Program in the Teaching of Chemistry and the Joint Degree Program in Chemistry.
Master's Program in the Teaching of Chemistry
Applicants interested in the Master's Program in the Teaching of Chemistry are expected to have a valid teaching certificate in addition to the usual undergraduate background in chemistry. Those who do not have a valid teaching certificate should plan to spend an additional year in the program for student teaching and to take other courses required for the certificate.
Joint Degree Program - JD/MS in Chemistry
View a complete description of the Joint Degree Program.
亚博体育下注A student who is currently enrolled in other graduate programs must complete the degree you are currently pursuing before being considered for admission to our program. Only under exceptional circumstances might a student be admitted without a degree from their current institution. In all cases, we require a statement from the applicant detailing the situation and a letter from the applicant's research advisor or department head.
Graduate Application Fee
The application fee is $70 for US citizens and permanent residents and $90 for all other applicants. The application fee must be paid by credit card at the time the online application is submitted. Application fees are non-refundable. In some instances, students involved in certain domestic programs may be eligible for a fee waiver, as described in more detail at the .
Graduate Application Process
Please contact us if you have any questions about the application process.
- To apply online, please fill out the . (Degree Codes needed to fill out the application form can be found below.)
- If you cannot apply online, please email us.
- International applicants must upload a copy of their passport. Additionally, Proof of Funding documentation will be required for students requesting a F-1 or J-1 visa.
Program Codes and Field of Specialization Listings
10KS0335PHD — Chemistry-PHD
10KS0294MS — Teaching of Chemistry-MS
亚博体育下注 10KS8101NONE — Joint Degree Program- Chemistry MS/Law JD
Fields of Specialization for the Chemistry PhD Program (10KS0335PHD)
亚博体育下注 (Please list up to 3 areas on your applications under "Specialization")
Fellowship and Award Opportunities
A large number of fellowships are awarded to graduate students in the Department of Chemistry at the University of Illinois. These range from Departmental fellowships sponsored by chemical companies and private donations to national fellowships from various federal and private foundations. Details about specific opportunities can be found at the following website.
For more information about the graduate program in chemistry, please view our Graduate Admissions Program Flyer.
If you have specific questions about our program or our application process, please email our office at firstname.lastname@example.org
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
109 Noyes Laboratory, MC-712, Box 57-1
505 South Mathews Avenue
Urbana, IL 61801
Phone: (217) 244-6245
Fax: (217) 244-7091